Friday, December 22, 2017

Don't kill yourself.

Since this is a hard time of year for some people, myself included, I thought I'd do a sort of public service post.  Many people, including yours truly, feel incredibly lonely this time of year.  It's hard to explain why some people embrace and enjoy holidays and can feel joy and gratitude.  Some of us feel a void, something missing, and this holiday season seems to exacerbate that. 

If you're reading this and feeling like you want to kill yourself, read my poem first just because I want people to read my shit.  But, seriously, this is the information for the suicide prevention hotline: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

I did attempt suicide at one low point in my life when I was a troubled teenager.  I am not ashamed of this.  I've gotten to a point now where I enjoy my life and I'm relatively content.  I could not fathom ending my own life as I want to see what happens next and I know that things can and will get better and improve when facing adversity.  

My point is, no matter how much you feel isolated, you're never alone on an earth with billions of people in it.  Some of us care about all people just because we're kind and loving.  Find someone like that to talk to.  Celebrate friends and family and try to look at what you have rather than the voids, and I know the voids can sometimes feel crippling.  

I wrote this poem about suicide after Robin Williams died.  We all have darkness and strife in us; some of us just learn coping skills and learn how to manage it.  

Thanks for reading my poem and also remember not to kill yourself.  We all belong in the world, this big, beautiful, scary, crappy world we've fucked up and scrambled to make right again.  







                      how and why 

 how: it ends. something brought
 you to your knees. you've lived with 
 pain, as we all have. you can't do 
 this anymore - this living. you go then. 

why: can't you see a beat up, old, gray 
 Mercedes shining in the rainy moonlight 
 with an enormous silver canoe roped 
 to the roof - and take simple 
 pleasure in the privilege of 
 a sight - let your imagination 
 go - and recall the mood of a 
really good Stephen King book?

 how: you feel no connection to the 
 cells in your body that toil and 
 exist for you to live. life has 
 been with you - some say since you 
 were birthed - others say very 
 shortly after your parents fucked. 
 you're done fucking people. 
that should never get old or unwelcomed.

why: just thinking makes me feel 
 better sometimes. like how my 
ex-husband told me during a 
 semi-comfortable lunch: according to 
 Neil DeGrasse Tyson, humanity's 
 existence is a mere second before 
 midnight on New Year's Eve in the 
 year that is the universe and 
 all we know or can possibly 
 speculate about. 

how: you're not too scared to cease 
 your breath. it seems you're 
 more afraid of lonely breaths to 
 come. think of your lungs. after you 
 expire, they will expel their reserves
 which have been there for you 
 since after they emptied of your 
 mother's amniotic fluid. this is 
your death rattle. you'll not see a 
 rattlesnake again.; you'll not hear it. 
 you won't hike around Devil's Tower 
 in Wyoming, longing to hear one, 
 but secretly, safely, relieved that you didn't. 

why: it's not all about you. your life
 is not all about you. just you. people 
 love and people care. after, you know 
 people will hurt. hurt so bad and 
 miss you. they'll feel horrible that 
 they couldn't help - then, after 
 accepting they couldn't anyway, 
 a new grief of how shitty you 
 must've felt before you decided 
 not to live anymore. 

how/why: the Beatles. you'll never hear the 
 Beatles again. you won't rediscover 
 an old favorite from Let It Be. you won't 
 purchase a scarf and leather boots. 
 you won't feel a cold winter wind and 
 adjust the scarf, placing it over 
 your nose and mouth, the familiar 
 scent of your closet, of clean 
 storage, mixed with the blue, 
 blustery wind. you wont feel the 
 frigid ground, somehow harder 
 in winter - although that's not 
 physically possible - through boots 
 that feel snug and only a little 
 warm in the cold. you won't feel 
 that grateful feeling for the boots, 
 even if they are only semi-warm. 

you left us all. we loved you.
 you couldn't love yourself enough. 
 remember, it's you. 
 you couldn't love yourself enough. 
 this world and humans who 
 populate it can be horrifically 
 vile and cruel - heartbreak runs rampant 
 on our planet. 
 love. hope. thoughts of beauty. books. 
 our history. our future.

you removed yourself 
 from this equation 
 without solving the problem. 


 you didn't show your work. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment